KNOCKNASHEEGA CELTIC BAND is the result of a chance meeting of several musicians at a contra dance event held at a music camp known as Camp da Capo in Wichita, KS in September of 2007. This type of folk dance has its roots in French, Irish and Scottish country dancing and requires live music to be the most fun.
It was during this event that Kevin Burrow had the idea come up, “Hey, we could form a band.” Over the next few months the band came together and grew. Since those days several members have come and gone, and many a foot stomping show has become local music history. Sadly in late 2014 the bands original founder Kevin left the band after relocating farther from Wichita and expressing a desire pursue other musical interests. Yet those that remain, a collection of hearty Celt performers, continue to the pursuit of keeping local Celtic music alive and well in the Wichita area.
Knocknsheega Celtic Band continues to pursue a true traditional Celtic sound playing tunes that in some cases are hundreds of years old, and some newer ones that are “Celt Inspired” just for fun, including the neo-Celtic nations right here in the America’s!
CURRENT MUSICIAN LINE UP:
- JON KORTE: Mandolin, bouzouki, guitar, hammered dulcimer, harmonium, vocals
- DANNA HOTMAR: Flute (metal and wood), Tin Whistle, Vocals
- JASON MILLER: Bohdran, vocals, and the occasional cinder block or noggin’
- JAMES RIX: Fiddle, back up vocals
- SAMANTHA JONKERS: Vocals, spoons
- BROOKE BROWNING: Fiddle
- JOHN BROWNING: Guitar
- JOE MOSS: Bass Guitar
Then there’s these two…
- GREG HUNT: Guitar, Banjo, Vocals, Forks, Knives, and vintage pie tins. Greg is presently incarcerated at the jail in Wichita’s Old Cowtown Museum.
- MIMI KORTE-KURIMSKI: Banjo, guitar, back up vocals. Mimi claims to be busy with new motherhood. We suspect she may be running from the law. Again.
GUEST AND FEATURED MUSICIANS/PERFORMERS:
- STEPHEN GREEN: Tin Whistle, Uillean pipes, electronic V-pipes
- HELENA MILLER: Fiddlin’ with the Fiddle, and Irish Dancer
- KEVIN BURROW: Guitar, Harp, Small Pipes, Vocals. Kevin is the original founder of the band
- DENISE BURROW: Accordion, vocals.
- JILL LOKKE: Bodhran, vocals
- SUSAN MONETTE: Vocals, percussive items of various natures
- JAMES REIMER: Flutes, whistles, banjo, vocals and just about everything else.
- CORRY ACADEMY OF IRISH DANCE:
Knocknasheega is proud to support the award winning Irish dancers from Corry Academy. Want to learn more? Visit www.CORRYACADEMY.com
- LOCAL AREA FOLK AND CELTIC MUSCIANS:
Knocknasheega will occasionally have an open session where musicians from all around are welcome and encouraged to join in. Start practicing!!!
- SUSAN J.E. RITA:
We’ve shared the stage at several events with Susan, who always brings her own Celtic styling’s and charm. Visit Susan on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/Susan.j.e.ritta